Cookies must be enabled in your browser
Is this your first time here?
Hi! For full access to courses you'll need to take
a minute to create a new account for yourself on this web site.
Each of the individual courses may also have a one-time
"enrolment key", which you won't need until later. Here are
- Fill out the New Account form with your details.
- An email will be immediately sent to your email address.
- Read your email, and click on the web link it contains.
- Your account will be confirmed and you will be logged in.
- Now, select the course you want to participate in.
- If you are prompted for an "enrolment key" - use the one
that your teacher has given you. This will "enrol" you in the
- You can now access the full course. From now on you will only need
to enter your personal username and password (in the form on this page)
to log in and access any course you have enrolled in.
Welcome to the GARC Education Platform
These free online courses will support your rabies prevention efforts. They can be studied online or downloaded to study offline. However, to
receive the course certificate, the final assessment must be completed online.
The Rabies Educator Certificate (REC)
The REC course is open to everyone, but aimed specifically at people who
work in at-risk communities and can address community education on rabies.
These people may be health/veterinary/community workers, or key people
within the communities in a position to provide others with accurate, life-
saving information about rabies prevention.
The REC modules include:
- What is rabies and how do people and animals get the disease
- How to avoid dog bites and prevent rabies
- Caring for animals
- Understanding the role of a community educator in preventing dog bites and rabies
- Communicating with people
This course is currently available in English, French and Spanish.
The Animal Handling and Vaccination Certificate (AVC)
The AVC course builds on the REC and is an introduction to effective and
humane dog handling and vaccination. Participants need to complete the
Rabies Educator Certificate before accessing this course.
The AVC covers:
- The role of the animal handler and vaccinator
- Understanding animal behaviour
- Effective ways to approach dogs
- Equipment needed to catch and handle dogs
- Effective vaccine administration techniques.
The AVC course should be followed by physical training under the guided
supervision of a professional and is also suitable for trained professionals who
wish to refresh their knowledge and remain up-to-date regarding new
techniques and tools on dog handling and vaccination.
This course is currently available in English and French.
The Community Coordinator for Rabies Certificate (CCC)
The CCC course has been designed to provide more advanced and in-depth training for Rabies Educator Certificate (REC) graduates, enabling them to become actively involved in the protection of their community against rabies, whilst also ensuring the humane treatment of animals. While the REC focuses on community education, the CCC expands this knowledge to other elements of community welfare, helping the graduate to provide even more support to enable the community to prevent rabies.
It covers information needed for a community coordinator to become a rabies reference point for their community, and to help the community work together with rabies control programmes to ensure vaccination programmes are successful. A particular interest in rabies, community welfare and a willingness to communicate with people are the only requirements of REC graduates to be proficient in the CCC course.
This course is currently available in English